Skip to main content

Rei - Blog Post 10

So,  I missed blog post 9. This is me acknowledging that for consistency.

Anyway, the past couple of weeks have been incredibly productive for ContentsMayBeHot. Matthew has finished collecting all the replay data, we have refactored our project to reduce complexity, we have improved the runtime of our code, and finally we have started seriously training our model.

The Changes


Matthew implemented multi-threading for the model loading. Which reduced our load time between files from about 3-5 Seconds to 1 Second or less. Which allows us to fully train a model in much less time!

While Matthew did this I reduced the code duplication in our project. This way, if we needed to change how we loaded our training data, we didn't have to change it in multiple places. This just allows us to make hot-fixes much more efficiently.

We also started working on some unittests for our project using pytest. These tests were written because of a requirement for another class, but we thought it would be useful to mention these tests.




Next Steps


Now that we are in the extreme-final steps of our project, my primary role has been actually training the data. The results of which are already on our github.

Matthew and I will be moving to focusing on our paper and our poster. While we will be helping one another, Matthew will be taking the lead for the paper while I will be taking the lead for the poster. I personally hope to get the poster done within the next couple of days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matthew - Capstone Blog Post 4

Finally, our CSI-480 (Advanced Topics: AI) course material is catching up to where we need to be. We are covering perceptrons and sigmoid neurons in the lectures, and we are also using TensorFlow to solve some very simple introductory problems (via tutorials). To supplement this I have been reading Neural Networks and Deep Learning by Michael Nielsen, a textbook available for free on the internet, which dives into neural networks right from the first chapter. Additionally, I have been finding 3Blue1Brown's multi-part video series about deep learning to be extremely helpful for visualizing some of the more advanced concepts. Even if I do not fully understand the calculus and linear algebra involved, at the very least I have a better idea of what goes on inside of neural networks. For example: I know what loss and gradient descentalgorithmsdo, essentially, and I also understand how the latter helps find a local minimum for the former, but I do not necessarily feel confident in my …

Matthew - Blog Post 9

After our last meeting, Professor Auerbach asked us to shift our focus towards building and training our model. So that's what we've been working on lately. The results so far have been interesting and problematic.

The first step was to define a minimal working model and a loading system to feed it our labelled data-set. I wrote a Sequence subclass, which is essentially a kind of generator designed for use with the fit_generator method. With fit_generator and a sequence, we're able to train and test the model with just a couple of one-liners:

model.fit_generator(sequence)
model.evaluate_generator(sequence)

The sequence subclass also has a few other tricks up its proverbial sleeve. For one, it reduces the dimensionality of the frame buffer data from 135×240×3 to 135×240×1 by converting it to gray-scale. This reduces the number of features from 97,200 to 32,400. For two, it does the same with the labels, combining and dropping 26 action types into just 9 atomic classes. This a…

Matthew - Blog Post 7

Since January, we've been working hard to not only finish writing the Replay Parser and Frame Collector but also totally synchronize them. I'm pleased to report our success. This is an amazing milestone for us because it means that we've surmounted one of our most troubling obstacles.


I have also made sure to keep our documentation up to date. So, if you like, you can follow along with this blog post by replicating its results.
The Frame Collector uses timed input sequences to start each replay associated with the currently running game version. Then, after waiting a set amount of time for playback to begin, it starts grabbing 1/4-scale frames at a rate of 10 frames per second. The Frame Collector takes these down-scaled frames, which are NumPy arrays, and rapidly pickles and dumps them into the file system. Here's a screenshot of the Frame Collector in action:

If you look at the image above, you'll see that each pickle (the .np files) is simply assigned …